New Medical Marijuana Patients

Becoming a medical marijuana patient is easy and hassle free in California, Colorado, Arizona, Oregon and . According to The Colorado Department of Health and Environment a person suffering from any of the following ailments, could seek comfort from the use of medicinal marijuana:

 •    Debilitating medical conditions are defined as cancer, glaucoma, and infection with or positive status for human immunodeficiency virus. Patients undergoing treatment for such conditions are defined as having a debilitating medical condition.

  •    Debilitating medical condition also includes a chronic or debilitating disease or medical condition other than HIV infection, cancer or glaucoma; or treatment for such conditions, which produces for a specific patient one or more of the following, and for which, in the professional opinion of the patient’s physician, such condition or conditions may reasonably be alleviated by the medical use of marijuana: cachexia; severe pain; severe nausea; seizures, including those that are characteristic of epilepsy; or persistent muscle spasms, including those that are characteristic of multiple sclerosis.



How do I obtain my Medical Marijuana Registry Card?

To obtain a license to use medical marijuana, you must apply to the Medical Marijuana Registry, which is maintained by the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment. The use of medical marijuana has been deemed appropriate for treatment of the following conditions:

  • Cancer
  • Glaucoma
  • HIV or AIDS Positive

In addition, if you have a chronic disease or medical condition that that produces one or more of the following, your symptoms may be alleviated by the use of medical marijuana:

  • Severe Pain
  • Cachexia
  • Severe Nausea
  • Seizures
  • Persistent Muscle Spasms

If you suffer from any of these ailments and are interested in treating them with medical marijuana, you must see a doctor who can write you a referral. After obtaining your referral and having your registry application notarized, you must send your application to the CDPHE via Certified Mail. Make sure to keep copies of all your documents!

After I see the doctor, can I purchase right away?

Dispensaries can serve first-time applicants as patients using your temporary documents for up to 35 days while your application is being processed. You must bring copies of your application and physician referral, as well as your Certified Mail receipt and driver’s license. Please bring all of these documents every time you go in.

If I’m renewing my Medical Marijuana Registry Card, can I use my temporary documents?

Unfortunately, due to state regulations, CO dispensaries cannot accept renewal paperwork. Please be sure to renew your card at least 45 (but no more than 60) days before it expires to avoid any overlap.

For a full list of treatable conditions that cannabis can help, please see HERE.


Where is Marijuana legal?


As of January 1, 2016 these four states have legalized recreational & medical marijuana: 

1. Alaska

2. Colorado

3. Oregon 

4. Washington 

See our FAQ's on recreational laws by state.


And these are the 23 states that have legalized, to some capacity, medical marijuana: 

1. Alaska

2. Arizona

3. California

4. Colorado

5. Connecticut

6. Delaware

7. Hawaii

8. Illinois

9. Maine

10. Maryland

11. Massachusetts 

12. Michigan

13. Minnesota

14. Montana

15. Nevada

16. New Hampshire

17. New Jersey

18. New Mexico

19. New York

20. Oregon 

21. Rhode Island

22. Vermont

23. Washington